Want to pursue flying as a career choice? Getting the CPL is the way to go. Commercial Pilot License is what allows you to fly an aircraft for compensation. In order to become a pilot or a flight instructor, CPL is mandatory.
Commercial Pilot License
- Minimum 18 years of age
- Ability to read, speak, write and understand the English language fluently.
- Must hold a Private Pilot License
- A Second Class Medical Certificate from an Aviation Medical Examiner
- Pass a computerized aeronautical knowledge test
- Pass tests (oral and flight) administered by an FAA inspector or another designated examiner
Classroom Instruction: 30 hours
- Airplane /aerodynamics
- Airplane instruments engines and systems
- Airport/ATC and airspace
- Federal aviation regulations
- Performance weight and balance
- Aeromedical factors/Aeronautical Decision Making (ADM)
- Aviation weather
- Aviation weather services
- Navigation charts, publications and flight computers
- Navigation system
Flight training requirements
This course is a single engine rating with a minimum of 250 hours’ total flight time (including PPL and IR time). It can be converted into a Multi Engine Rating with additional training on a Multi Engine Aircraft. The 0- CPL course would consist of the following training hours.
- Pilot in Command: 100 hours
- VFR cross country: 50 hours as pilot-in-command, including a cross-country flight totaling at least 350 NM with full-stop landings at two different aerodromes
- Instrument Training: 40 hours
- Complex Dual Flight Training : 15 hours
- Traffic pattern operations
- Slow flight and stalls
- Introduction to complex airplanes
- Complex slow flight/stalls
- Complex emergency procedures
- Complex night
- Performance maneuvers
- Eights on pylons
- Dual cross country
- Night flight local
- Flight operations
- Review all maneuvers
Duration : 6-8 months*
*Subject to flying weather conditions and student’s ability and aptitude
The trainee has to undergo and pass all flying tests as laid down by Director General of Civil Aviation.
The issue of Commercial Pilot License is subject to a Medical Fitness Certificate issued by the Air Force Medical Board (Central Medical Establishment, New Delhi or Institute of Aerospace Medicine, Bangalore).
Applicant shall not be less than 18 years of age on the date of application for the issue of Commercial Pilot License.